A mix of vegetable oil and sesame oil at ratio of 3:1 (for frying)
1 large fresh lotus root (about 1lb)
1 tsp vinegar or a generous squeeze of lemon juice
Salt and pepper (to season)
1. Peel the lotus root and finely slice using a sharp knife or mandolin.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to a bowl of water.
3. Place the sliced lotus root in the bowl of vinegar water for about 5 minutes. This will stop the lotus root from browning.
4. Pat dry the lotus root using paper towel.
5. Heat the oil to 170 degrees Celsius in a saucepan on medium to heat. To check if the oil is at the right temperature just place one of the lotus root slices in the oil and if it pops to the top of the oil then it's at the right temperature.
6. Fry the lotus root in the oil until they turn a nice golden brown colour.
7. Place on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve as a side with steak or fish.
Goes really well with beer or wine.