Fish fillet (cod/ hake)
1 tbsp Japanese rice wine called SAKE (can use dry sherry or white wine instead)
Potato starch (can use corn starch or flour instead)
Nanami-togarashi (can use other seasoning such as salt & pepper instead)
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Pour sake over the fish fillet and using your hands make sure the whole fillet is covered in sake.
2. Set aside for 10 minutes or longer if you have the time.
3. Pat dry the fish fillet with kitchen towel.
4. Then, coat in potato starch.
5. Sprinkle nanami-togarashi over the fish fillet on both sides.
6. Heat vegetable oil in a heavy based frying pan on high heat and add the fish fillet.
7. Seal the fish fillet on both sides until there is a nice golden brown colour.
8. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes until cooked (depending on the size of the fish fillet).
HOW TO EAT:
NANAMI TOGARASHI - JAPANESE SEVEN SPICES
This spice mix includes chilli, orange peel, black sesame seed, white sesame seed, seaweed, Japanese pepper and ginger. It's often added to Japanese dishes to add a little kick and extra taste to the dish.