This is a refreshing and healthy salad that can be quickly prepared. You don't have to follow the exact ingredients listed below, use whatever you have in the fridge!
Click here to see my last post on lotus root which has a brief note on the health benefits associated with lotus root and where it can be sourced.
300g renkon/ lotus root (peeled and cut into thin slices)
1 medium sized carrot (peeled and cut into julienne strips)
Half a large cucumber (remove seeds and cut into julienne strips)
1 tbsp dried wakame (seaweed)
1 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp mayo
1 tsp Japanese soya sauce
Salt & Pepper (to season)
1. Add 1 tsp of vinegar and sliced lotus root to a mediun sized saucepan of boiling water and boil for 10 mins.
2. Remove the lotus root from the water and set aside to cool on kitchen towel to remove excess water.
3. Place the dried wakame in a bowl of cold water for about 10 minutes. Then remove the wakame from the water and place on kitchen towel to remove the excess water.
4. Place the cooled lotus root, wakame, carrots and cucumber in a large salad bowl.
5. Add 2 tbsp of mayo, 1 tsp of soya sauce and pepper.
6. Mix well and serve chilled.
After peeling lotus root it can quickly turn brown so soak it in water and vinegar if you're not going to use it immediately.
Where can I find lotus root?
In most Asian markets
What are the health benefits associated with lotus root?
Low in calories and high in dietary fibre, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, thiamim and riboflavin.