We had this dish for dinner tonight to celebrate Chinese New Year. It's a special time of year in our family as my brother-in-law (William) is Chinese. William is head chef in his own restaurant, Ngai's in Athy, Co. Kildare so his Chinese cooking is pretty good! I wish I could take credit for this dish but he showed me how to make it. Ngai's restaurant has a selection of authentic Chinese dishes on the menu including this one. I hope you enjoy it.
Gong Xi Fa Choi - Happy Chinese New Year
Thumb size piece ginger (peeled and thinly sliced into strips)
Few scallions/ spring onion (sliced into strips)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1. Ask your fish monger to clean and scale the fish.
2. Place in a steamer for about 7-10 minutes depending on the size of the fish.
3. Once cooked place on a large serving plate and toss the strips of ginger and scallion over the fish.
4. Heat the vegetable in a saucepan until smoking hot.
5. Pour the oil evenly over the fish and then pour the soy sauce in the same way.
6. Serve with steamed rice and stir fried Chinese greens.