This recipe is a healthy lunchbox filler or an easy party food.
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp olive oil
Half tsp sesame oil
Half clove garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp water
Freshly ground salt and pepper (to season)
Pestle and mortar
1. Toss the sesame seeds on a roasting tray and place in a pre-heated oven for about 5 minutes.
2. Using a pestle and mortar, grind the hot sesame seeds until most of the seeds are cracked and ground.
3. Place the frozen edamame in a saucepan of boiling water, reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes. Then drain.
4. Remove the edamame beans from the outer pod by using your fingers to gently squeeze the beans out of the pod. Remember you can't eat the outer pods!
5. Place all the cooked edamame beans, ground sesame seeds and the remaining ingredients in a blender and blitz until the texture is nice and creamy.
6. If you think the mixture is too dry then add a little more olive oil or water.
- To add a little spice to this recipe add cayenne pepper or Japanese seven spice (nanami togarashi).
- This hummus goes really well with toasted pitta bread, carrot or celery sticks.