If you feel like you've had enough burgers and sausages on the BBQ and need a break from meat here is the perfect recipe that will help you detox. Kale is growing in popularity and is a well known superfood with detox properties. I eat meat but there are times when I like to take a break from it and eat vegetarian dishes like this.
2 x portions of boiled rice
100g kale, washed
2 cloves of garlic (peeled and finely diced)
Juice of half a lemon
Vegetable oil and olive oil (to fry)
Salt & pepper (to season)
- Cut the thick part of the stem from the leaves.
- Roll the leaves into a bunch and cut into thin ribbons.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of olive oil onto a frying pan.
- Turn the heat to medium and toss the garlic on the pan cooking until you start to get a nice aroma from the garlic (do not brown).
- Season the garlic infused oil with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped kale and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Pour the lemon juice over the kale.
- Stir and fry until the kale is bright green all over.
- At this point, take the kale off the hot pan as it will continue to cook.
- Serve on top of a bowl of rice or as a side to a main dish.
- Strong cancer protection properties.
- Helps the body detox and lower cholesterol.
- Contains high levels of vitamin A, C, K & B6.
- Also contains high levels of calcium, magnesium, fibre & iron.
- Do not overcook the kale in order to retain the nutritional value.
- Adding lemon juice to the kale enhances its nutritional value.
- Garnish with pine nuts or almonds.
- Serve with a fried egg, bacon or frozen prawns.