Tuesday 6 March 2012

Edamame - a Japanese healthy snack


When I mention Japanese food to people they are always curious to know exactly what Japanese food is, how I cook it and where I get the ingredients.

So I'm going to use this blog to help everyone out there who'd like to try cook Japanese food at home but haven't yet because they think it's too complicated or too difficult to get the ingredients.

When I returned to Ireland from Japan, I use to get my Japanese friends to send me ingredients as it was relatively difficult to find ingredients at that time here in Ireland. However, today there are Asian markets scattered across Ireland with a bigger selection of Japanese ingredients to allow me to cook authentic Japanese food. 

Today, I'm going to introduce you to EDAMAME which is green soya beans in a pod.


Trust me if you try this healthy snack once you'll be hooked! It's filled with nutritional value, tastes great, is easy to prepare and low in calories. At home, I tend to eat them when I'm peckish instead of a sugar filled high calorie snack that I'll regret the minute I've eaten it. Edamame is also a great appetiser or party food and goes well with wine or beer. And kids just love edamame, my nieces and nephews have great fun popping the beans out of the pod!

You can buy frozen edamame in most Asian supermarkets (I buy them in the Asian Market on Drury Street in Dublin, Ireland). 


Birdseye also sell frozen edamame out of the pod in most big supermarkets in Ireland.

How to prepare frozen edamame:
  1. Put the frozen edamame in a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
  2. Drain the edamame in a colander and run them under cold water to cool.
  3. Sprinkle with salt (preferably sea salt) before serving. 

How to eat:
Suck the soya beans out of the pod. Do not eat the pod which is the outer skin. I always serve an empty bowl with edamame so the pods can be thrown in this bowl.

Tips:
  1. Try not to overcook the edamame. While the edamame is boiling in the pot just pick one out and try it. I think they are better crunchy and not overcooked. 
  2. You can also add salt to the pot of boiling water before adding the edamame. 

Why not:
Sprinkle cayenne pepper over the edamame just before serving if you like spicy food.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...