Wednesday, 7 May 2014
Tofu steak coated in Japanese seven spice flour - easy vegetarian recipe
Block of firm tofu (500 - 700g), preferably GM free
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoon nanami-togarashi (Japanese seven spice)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
Chopped spring onion and grated ginger (to garnish)
1. Remove the packaging and water from the block of tofu and place on a chopping board.
2. Cut into thick slices (about 1 inch thick).
3. To remove excess water wrap each slice in kitchen towel, place on a large plate and set aside for about 5 minutes. Remove the wet kitchen towel and wrap in kitchen towel again. Set aside for a further 5 minutes depending on the type of tofu (you may need to do this for 10 minutes each time).
4. Mix the flour and nanami-togarashi on a large plate.
5. Remove the kitchen towel from the tofu and coat each tofu slice in the flour mix.
6. Heat vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan on high heat.
7. Gently place the tofu slices on the pan and fry for a few minutes. Once nicely browned turn and fry on the other side for a few minutes.
8. Top with chopped spring onion and grated ginger then drizzle a little soy sauce over the tofu.
- Put a heavy weight (e.g. book) on the tofu slices when wrapped in kitchen towel. This will help drain the water from the tofu in less time!